NSBA Health Insurance Consortium
Law firms of all sizes face significant challenges in relation to the affordability of health insurance. The Nebraska State Bar Association is proud to announce that it has established a new health insurance option for its members, the NSBA Health Insurance Consortium. The Consortium will consist of multiple employers, with NSBA membership, pooling together to obtain affordable health insurance coverage on terms similar to those currently available only to large employers. Here are some of the advantages:
- Affordable Coverage: By pooling together, employers are better positioned to obtain more affordable health insurance coverage due to economies of scale, managing savings, and spreading risk.
- Flexibility: Each employer in the Consortium has the option of selecting the type of health plan or plans that works best for its employees (high deductible plan vs. low deductible plan, etc.).
- A Stable Community: The NSBA’s goal is to create and to encourage a stable community of employers participating in the Consortium. When a group has a stable environment, annual rate fluctuations are less likely and less dramatic from year to year.
- Available to Family Members: In addition to staff, employers participating in the Consortium may offer family and dependent coverage to their employees.
Aon Selected as Broker
The Nebraska State Bar Association is pleased to announce that after a competitive RFP process, it selected Aon Risk Solutions as the broker for the NSBA Health Insurance Consortium. In addition to brokering the plan for the Consortium (i.e., coverage options, premiums and other terms), Aon’s role is to provide education and answer questions about coverage options, provide claims assistance services, assist with employee enrollment, help resolve benefits questions or issues and provide ongoing support to the Health Insurance Consortium Board. The Aon team is lead by Nebraska lawyers, Pat Bourne and Michaela Valentin.
Blue Cross Blue Shield Selected as Carrier
The NSBA is pleased to announce that Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska has been selected as the Insurance Carrier for the Consortium. Each employer in the Consortium has the option of selecting the type of health plan or plans that works best for its employees (high deductible plan vs. low deductible plan, etc.). There will be seven benefit packages to choose from. Each employer can offer up to two plans to their employees. Employers will also have the option of selecting “narrow networks” to achieve additional savings. In addition to staff, employers participating in the Consortium may offer family and dependent coverage to their employees. Coverage will begin January 1, 2019. Learn more about the overall plan options here.
October 9 Deadline to Sign Up to be Rated for the NSBA Health Insurance Consortium
Groups can begin to sign up for coverage through the NSBA Health Insurance Consortium. Learn more about the overall plan options here. Rates will be made available to you in October of 2018, but in order to be appropriately rated you must complete this process prior to October 9. There is no obligation to join after you apply for coverage.
Please note, an “eligible employee” is an employee (both attorney and non-attorney employees) who works at least 17.5 house per week and who wants to receive health insurance coverage through the Consortium. Employers can also offer their employees family and dependent coverage.
For firms with 5+ eligible employees:
Download and complete the census application by October 9, 2018 and email it to Jody Gilcrist at: Jody.Gilcrist@aon.com.
For firms with under 5 eligible employees:
1. Download and complete the census application by October 9, 2018 and email it to Jody Gilcrist at: Jody.Gilcrist@aon.com
2. Additionally, firms with under 5 employees will have to complete an abbreviated online health application which will be emailed out to firms at a later date (Target date is September 15th).
For all employee size applications, it is very important that you complete the census in a timely manner as the more people we submit into the pool, the better the initial rate we will receive.
We have also coordinated a series of informational meetings across the state of Nebraska. Thanks in advance for joining us for any of the following events. Please RSVP by clicking on the name of the location in the list below or RSVP to Lisa Henrich at email@example.com or via phone at 402‐475‐7091.
Madison: August 31from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm in conjunction with the Madison County/7th Judicial District Bar Association Golf Tournament at Taylor Creek Golf Course (120 Taylor Creek Road). Golf starts at 12:00 pm. To register for golf please email Fritz Bartell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
South Sioux City: August 31 from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm in conjunction with a free CLE with the Dakota County Bar Association at Kahill’s Chophouse at the Delta Hotel Riverside (385 E 4th St, South Sioux City, NE).
- Free CLE on Electronic Evidence featuring UNL College of Law Dean Richard Moberly, is available immediately before the meeting, from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Lincoln: September 4 from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm in conjunction with the Lincoln Bar Association Happy Hour at the Nebraska Club (2003 233 S 13th St #2000). Appetizers provided. Cash bar.
Omaha: September 10 from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm, Happy Hour meeting at 801 Chophouse at the Paxton (1403 Farnam St). Appetizers provided. Cash bar.
York: September 19 from 7:30 am to 8:30 am, Breakfast meeting at Chances “R” Restaurant (124 W 5th St). Breakfast on your own.
Holdrege: Holdrege: September 19 from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm, Lunch meeting in conjunction with a free CLE at First National Bank (401 East Ave). Drinks provided. Bring your own lunch.
- Followed by a free Ethics CLE on the Ethics of Pro Bono from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm.
McCook: September 19 from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm, meeting in conjunction with a free CLE at the Coppermill Steakhouse (202 North Highway U.S. 83 and Coppermill St.).
- Free ethics CLE on the Ethics of Pro Bono is available immediately before the meeting, from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
North Platte: September 20 from 7:30 am to 8:30 am, Breakfast Meeting at the Holiday Inn Express in North Platte (300 Holiday Frontage Rd). Continental breakfast provided.
Scottsbluff: September 20 from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm, Lunch meeting at the Scotts Bluff County Club (5014 Ave I) as part of the Great Western Conference. Lunch provided.
Valentine: September 20 from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm - MEETING CANCELLED
Broken Bow: September 21 from 7:30 am to 8:00 am, Breakfast meeting in conjunction with a free CLE at the Arrow Hotel (509 South 9th Avenue). Breakfast on your own.
- Free CLE on Federal Practice available immediately following the meeting from 8:00 am to 9:00 am.
Kearney: September 21 from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm, Lunch meeting in conjunction with a free CLE in the Niobrara Room at the Kearney Public Library (2020 1st Ave). Bring your own lunch.
- Free CLE on Federal Practice available immediately following the meeting from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm.
Nebraska City: September 25 from 8:30 am to 9:30 via GoToMeeting.
Beatrice: September 25 from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm via GoToMeeting.
Grand Island: September 28 from 5:00 pm to 5:30 pm in conjunction with the Rural Practice Initiative Interview Reception at the Quality Inn (7838 S. Hwy 281).
Fremont: October 4 from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm a the Fremont Golf Club, 2710 N Somers Ave. Sponsored by the Dodge County Bar Association.
La Vista: October 17 from 8:00 am to 8:45 am and October 18 from 1:00 pm to 1:45 pm at the NSBA Annual Meeting, Embassy Suites Conference Center, La Vista. Register as part of the NSBA Annual Meeting Program.
You may also directly contact Aon representative Pat Bourne (email@example.com or 402‐697‐5260) or Michaela Valentin (firstname.lastname@example.org or 402‐697‐5254) to visit with them or to schedule a meeting specifically for your firm.