The mission of the NSBA Leadership Academy is to develop the leadership skills of the participants to allow them to make greater contributions to the legal profession and their community.
The goals of the Academy are:
- To nurture effective leadership with respect to ethical, professional and community service issues
- To build relationships among legal leaders from across the state and from across disciplines within the profession
- To raise the level of awareness among lawyers regarding the broad range of issues facing the legal profession
- To enhance the diversity of leaders within the legal profession and the community as a whole
What is the Leadership Academy?
The academy begins with a day and a half retreat at the Carol Joy Holling Camp in Ashland, NE on September 10-11, 2018. Monthly sessions begin in November 2018 (excluding December) and will discuss topics such as:
- Effective Leadership
- Legislative Issues
- Balancing Work and Life
- Public Trust and Confidence in the Judicial System
Most sessions will be held at the Roman L. Hruska Law Center in Lincoln. Sessions are scheduled from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and lunch will be provided. Participants are required to attend the retreat and are not to miss more than two session.
Who is Eligible?
The academy welcomes NSBA members that will be in their third to fifteenth year of practice to apply. The committee will review applications and select the participants by August 24, 2018. Participants will be selected to ensure diversity in geography, practice type, employment setting, gender and ethnicity.
What is the tuition?
Tuition is $500, which covers the cost of all programs, meals, receptions, graduation dinner and printed materials. Individual participants are responsible for their own travel and personal expenses. However, mileage and hotel reimbursement will be provided if you are required to travel more than 150 miles to attend a program session. A limited number of scholarships are available. Contact Sam Clinch to receive a scholarship application.
How do I apply?
Please complete and submit the application form by 5:00 p.m. on August 17, 2018. The Steering Committee will review applications and notify participants no later than August 24, 2018.